Google Applications Overview
In May 2009, Florida Institute of Technology decided to migrate all student email from an open source email solution called Cyrus to Gmail. This decision was made based upon feedback from students, faculty, staff, and the Office of Information Technology.
What is Google Applications?
Google Apps Education Edition allows Florida Institute of Technology to give Google's communication and collaboration applications to our entire campus community for free. All services are hosted by Google and are available to users via any internet-connected computer and many mobile devices. Google Apps includes the following services:
- Gmail™* - provides gigabytes of email storage, highly effective spam filtering and powerful search;
- Google Calendar™ - allows easy coordination of work or class schedules, meetings and events online;
- Google Talk™ - supports free PC-to-PC voice calls and instant messaging;
- Google Docs™ - allows users to create and collaborate on documents and spreadsheets in real-time;
* Students and Alumni Only
What do I get?
- Gigabytes of email storage. No more worries about having to delete mail.
- Instant messaging from right within your mailbox & free PC-to-PC voice calls.
- Google Calendar to schedule meetings, create events, and share calendars with others.
- Google Docs to create and share documents, spreadsheets and presentations online.
- Access to your information from anywhere with an internet connection. You can also access your email with a mobile device.
- A new permanent email address, TRACKS@my.fit.edu
Where can I go for more info?
You can check out the Google Apps Help Center or watch video presentations below:
Have more Questions, please reference our Google FAQ.