Office of Information Technology
Basic Instructions for Cisco Phones
Placing a Call
- When calling a campus extension press * followed by the four digit extension such as *8002.
- When calling an external number you do not have to dial 9 for an outside line. For instance instead of dialing 9-674-8002 you would dial 321-674-8002. Dialing 1 is not necessary.
Transferring a Call
- The transfer button is only available during an active call. To transfer an active call, press the Transfer button at the bottom of the display screen.
- Then enter * and the 4 digit extension press the Transfer button again to complete the transfer.
- If you prefer to announce the call to the person you are transferring to, you do so before pressing the Transfer button the second time.
- To access the voice mail system dial *8710 from your extension.
- If you have more than one extension on your phone be sure to choose the extension that corresponds with your voicemail box from the line buttons on the left of the phone screen before checking voicemails.
- You will be prompted to enter a pin, the default pin is 13579#.
- You will then be given the option to record a name and record a greeting or to press # for the defaults.
- Next you will be prompted to enter a new PIN, your new pin must meet the following requirements:
- The digits are not all the same (for example, 9999)
- The digits are not consecutive (for example, 1234 or 4321)
- The PIN is not the same as the primary extension that is assigned to the user
- Follow the remaining prompts to complete setup.
Voicemail is available via your phone and appears in your Exchange (Outlook) inbox. If the message is moved or deleted from outlook it will be deleted from the phone. Once a message is read/listened to in Outlook or on the phone it will appear as read/listened to in both places.
- While on a call press the conference key and enter the participants phone number.
- After the phone begins to ring press the conference key again to begin the conference call.
- Repeat these steps to add more participants.
- You can also install Cisco Jabber on your desktop. The windows version is available from Software Center, which can be accessed by clicking on the start button and searching for “Software Center” in the search. The Mac version is currently only available by request. For assistance in installing the Mac or Desktop software please contact Technology Support @ 7284.
- You can also download Cisco Jabber for iOS and Android devices from their respective APP Stores.
- The two great advantages of the Jabber client on your smart phone is that it can be used like a wireless phone around campus and that if you need to place a work call, when away from the office, you can place it using your Fl Tech phone number.