Who uses Canvas?
- Melbourne Campus instructors and their students.
- Extended Studies and Virtual Campus instructors and their students.
- Continuing Education instructors and their students.
- Staff and administrators supporting those courses.
What is Canvas used for?
- Canvas is used to supplement traditional classes with online information and assessment tools.
- It is used for hybrid courses in which classtime is split with online meetings and assignments.
- It is also used for fully online courses.
- It is also used for sharing information within departments and academic programs.
Where can I get training and support?
- Start with the Faculty Orientation
- Support is available online, 24/7, via the Help link inside Canvas.
- The Help Center has links to reference guides, community forums, and more.
Why was Canvas chosen over other systems, or staying with ANGEL?
- ANGEL reached its final version, 8.0, in 2011. No significant updates are planned.
- ANGEL does not adequately support modern computing needs.
- Support for the product line had declined sharply: bugs reported to ANGEL remained unresolved for years.
- The LMS Selection Committee determined that Canvas was a viable replacement for ANGEL
- Participants in a pilot program preferred Canvas by a wide margin.
- More info can be found on the Canvas Timeline.